Personal Nostalgia

Many of the people who read this come here from XE. So, like myself, nostalgia is a way of life for you. We all miss Disney Afternoons, Crispy Critters, and we remember when Pee Wee Herman was a fine and upstanding children’s television star. Beyond childhood things of that era, there are other things that I miss. Here are a few:

Baseball players with mustaches.

There’s some out there, not enough. In Minnesota, we had our hero in Kirby Puckett for over a decade. Ten years went by without a real star on the team that stood above everyone else, but now we have Mauer. He’s a batting champion, an All Star, and could very well be a hall of famer someday. And I think he needs a ‘stache.

Snow

I love it I love it I love it

I am almost glad that we only get it six month of the year, it makes it even more special when I have to miss it.

Phones with cords

I recall my mother getting one of those fancy new phones with the twenty-four foot cord when I was young. She could then walk all over the kitchen and still talk about whatever it was that she talked about with one of her friends named Mary. All her friends were named Mary.

Sunday Clothes

I grew up in a house where you were in church every Sunday. And at our church you dressed in your Sunday best. Now, when I get to church, people wear whatever. There is nothing that says “fancy” about what people grab from their closets any longer.

Asbestos

Oh, MS Paint, you are my only true friend.

In my elementary school, the ceiling of the gym was coated in the stuff. When someone kicked a ball and it hit the ceiling a bit of asbestos would fall and my sister would grab it and throw it around, calling it, “disease”. Little did we know she was right. Kicking the ball so high that you would knock part of the ceiling off was such a bragging event, however, and I miss that.

This entry was posted in Blogroll, family, funner, happiness, health, home, how to, kids, Life, religion and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Personal Nostalgia

1. JoshC says:

Ahh memories(feels like I always say that).
    I have a love/hate relationship with snow, it gets to be too much around here sometimes though.

In some spots this past winter I think it was close to 6 feet deep, not fun.

Those springy phone cords taste awful.

JoshC- don’t talk badly about the snow. It’ll hear you.

doho- i too, have tasted them.

I bought my Grandmother a cordless phone for Christmas one year. She smiled and said thank you but nothing would come between her and the tether to the wall. What was I thinking?

I miss Don Mattingly.

Grandparents are good for laughs like that. My grandpa bought a Mac way back when, and said he couldn’t learn it so he should get a PC. (which he never touched either) His wife just had to print out the emails we’d send to him.

I miss Terry Steinbach.
    I miss Dennis Eckersley.
    I Miss Ruben Sierra.
    I miss the skinny Mark McGwire.
    I even miss the Giambi Brothers a little bit.

fucK.
    I just miss Athletics Baseball.
    I haven’t seen a game in such a long time.

Strangely enough, I also miss wearing my Sunday Best.
    I don’t even HAVE clothes that be considered my Sunday Best.

In my head, only Tom Selleck is still allowed to have a mustache. But I DO wish 90% of those guys would get rid of what I call the “baseball beard.” It’s that mustacheless goatee that hangs underneath their chin like a pube handle. I cant stand it and so many players have them now.

I do miss dressing up sometimes…the worst thing about “Sunday Best” was tights with a saggy crotch.

Amy, you and tg should get together and talk about Mr. Sellecks mustache, no seriously.

9. Bell says:

the thing you point out in this entry that bears the most profound truth is that all of mom’s friends really were named Mary. Hmm.

Bell- yes, and you are the only one who gets that. I should write better.