Delilah

When I lived in Seattle I used to make road trips over to eastern Washington. These drives took me over the Cascade Mountains, which are stunning to view. There’s nothing I love more than a road trip. Problem was, on the way you would lose most or all radio stations. Except one. I cannot remember the dial numbers of it at the moment but it was the soft rock hits we all know and love and hate at the same time. And if I took the trip at night, which I normally did, I got to listen to the women with the biggest heart in the world-Delilah.
If you don’t know who Delilah is, then you are missing out. That is all I have to say.

delilah.jpg

No it’s not. her real name is Delilah Rene. She plays all those songs that you always claim to hate bearable. She has a call in and dedication format. She talks with the caller about how their cat just died or how their fiance’ is stuck in Iraq for an extra month. Then she picks an appropriate song for the listeners to hear and most definitely sing along to. I always wonder of the golden lady of night time radio is also singing when she hangs up the phone.

When I first discovered the show I was annoyed, I wanted to get back the stations that I was getting in the city and was bothered that this is what I would have to put up with for the duration of my trip. The obvious easy answer to you would be to bring along a CD, however, at this point in time I had not yet graduated my tapes to CDs. I am a late bloomer. And I really don’t like listening to tapes the whole way through. But I believe road trips are for singing. Turns out one can sing along very respectably to Delilah. But only when it is pitch black in the midst of a mountain pass with no street lights or buildings or people around just the sad little deer that you just swerved to avoid.
Being that the women is from Seattle I thought that she was a west coast exclusive, however in my recent searches for the All Christmas All The Time Station on the radio I found out that she is national. And she is doing Christmas hits right now. The other night she broke down in tears because the caller was,in her words, “SO much stronger than I will ever be. You inspire me young lady because you are so brave.” I think it’s the over the top emotions she exudes that makes her show a hit. Seriously can you imagine having that for a mother? You would have self esteem like steel, or however self esteem is measured. I tend to measure it in the number of hits I receive on my site.

Go visit Delilah and see if she plays in your area–especially if your itching to hear some Christmas tunes deejayed my the most upbeat person on the planet.

This entry was posted in Blogroll. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Delilah

Holy Smoly, I was in a blizzard listening to Delilah above Rochester and alost died. What a great tribute. I can relate, but then again, when can’t we relate?

2. Stephanie says:

I have listened to Delilah here in the Minn. She has a very soothing voice. I wish I sounded so soothing. If only I could adjust my volume and bass I might have a chance.

That’s kinda true Billy, isn’t it?

Steph- you should practice a soothing voice on your girls and see what they think 🙂 Just start scolding them like that.

I hear her out here in the SF Bay Area too. She used to entertain mewhile I drove through the farmlands late at night. And I say entertain cause it always seems so soapy-melodrama-ish.

5. I started my broadcast career just as the Old Boy network was starting to fall from vogue. MERCIFUL GOD!!

By the time I graduated from college, they were teaching us to be more emotional. That stiff, bullshit ridden stoicism was dying. We were instead being taught to emote if we felt like it. Get angry (within reason) and if warranted, shed a tear.

Delilah does this and more. I’ve heard incredibly moving pieces on her show and then again, I’ve heard stuff that was so sickeningly sweet, it constipated my tear ducts. All a matter of taste I would imagine. I will tell you this, as my body changes and emotions now run rough shod, every my thoughts and words and deeds, I avoid Delilah like the plague. I couldn’t handle the intensity of emotion.

And I assure you, there would be an ocean of emotion.

LK

…but that means she’s effective right? 🙂

7. Thom says:

“Hey there Delilah what’s it like in New York City, I’m a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do, Time Square can’t shine as bright as you, you know it’s true.” I wonder if that song is about her? 😛

haha. I actually heard there is a real girl that song is about and she barely knows the guy who wrote it.

9. Thom says:

Creepy. I wrote a song about you by the way LOL (big letters because I find myself funnier than I really am… segue– don’t we all tho’) 😛

10. Pingback: Delilah’s Cozy Kitchen « The Pilver

11. Bell says:

All I can say is “Jesus, take the Wheel.”

12. Pingback: I Met Delilah «

13. Christina says:

I used to live in Hawaii and that was the first time I listened to Delilah show. I used to work @ a convenient store and in the evenings after the rush hour, i would go about my duties and listened to the world out there having access to Delilah show. I would listen and cry @ all the problems people have and a great healing method provided by Delilah.
    I really missed that show because I moved back to the Pacific Is. Samoa to be exact and sadly we don’t have Delilah show on our many radio stations.
    I’m still searching the net for an online program of her.
    God bless her heart and her life.
    fr. ME:)

14. SHEILA MURRAY says:

I LOVE DELILAH,I HAVE BEE LISTENING TO HER SHOW SINCE 1998,I HAVE BEEN ON AIR ONCE.EVERY NIGHT I WOULD LAY ACROSS MY BED A TURN HER SHOW ON.I LOOKED FORWARD TO THOSE MOMENTS WHERE PEOPLE WOULD CALL IN AND TELL DELILAH THEIR STORIES AND IN MY MIND WOULD HAVE MY OWN ADVICE,AND I JUST LOVE THE SONGS SHE CHOOSES,SHE ALWAYS SEEMS TO FIND THE SONGS THAT RELATE TO THEIR SITUATION,AND BEING A MOM AND MARRIED AND DIVORCED SHE HERSELF HAS BEEN FACED WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS HER LISTENERS HAVE,SHE CAN RELATE AND SHE TRUELY CARES AND FEELS OUR JOYS AND SADNESS,I HOPE SHE STAYS ON THE RADIO FOR YEARS TO COME.